Monday, March 22, 2010

Took Friday and Saturday off from running because of the soreness in my left soleus and went on a 9 miler on Sunday. Both calves were rather tender after about 3 miles but not so much that I felt the need to turn back. I stopped for a second and stretched and re-continued at a very comfortable pace. It was a beautiful, sunny morning although very chilly, in the teens or single digits, for sure. I ran a road route up US 40 to Highway 131 and then back towards town on River Road. At Tree Haus, I had to stop to relieve myself and went to find a discreet spot near a maintenance building. The visor on my cap kept me from seeing the low roof, which I slammed my head into! Ouch! Dazed and pissed at myself (but not on myself), I ran on around Mt. Werner Circle and up Apres Ski Way to make a big loop around the Mountain neighborhoods. Cruised it on home in 1:25, good for a 9:00/mile pace overall. After the run, my right calf muscle was now more predominately sore, I decided to take today off from running (and possibly tomorrow) to rest up for Moab.

I've been geeking out over the topo map Bob gave me of the Moab area for the past week. Tons of trails and 4x4 roads to run and wheel on and warmer weather and big red rock cliffs to gawk at, can't wait.

That map, however, motivated me to pick up topo maps of the Silverton, Summit County (Vail/Breckenridge), Aspen and Grand Junction areas and now I'm dizzy with the route possibilities here in Colorado. It's clear to me that I'm going to be spending alot of time free running trails this summer. To that end, I ordered an ultralight backpack, (a GoLite Jam, 1 lb. 14 oz., 3000 cubic inch capacity), sleeping bag and sleeping mat (2 lbs., both from Big Agnes) this weekend. This is the core of my fastpacking gear for this summer. I'll also carry: a bivy sack, rain jacket and pants, up to 3 liters of water, a water filter/pump, a stove, food, a headlamp, a map, camera and, possibly, Benihana's dog food, if I can't get him to wear a pack and carry it his damn self. Light and fast and cover alot ground! Some of the runs I'm already thinking about:

Silverthorne: Buffalo Mountain loop, 12 - 15 miles, with the option of connecting to the Gore Creek Trail for 30+ more miles. Also, Ptarmigan Peak summit, a 4.7 mile climb from 9000' to 12,498'.

Vail/Beaver Creek/Minturn area: numerous long, out and back valley runs

Aspen/Snowmass: Conundrum Hot Springs. Just over 7 miles into the Maroon Bells area, hit up a sweet, au natural hot spring. I could turn around there but if I want to really get manly, continue up and over Triangle Pass (12900') for two miles, then do the 5.5 mile descent down to Gothic (9469') and then, turn around and go, up and back over for the full marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment