Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2/2/11

In the past few weeks, I've actually had some good workouts and running to report about.  I've been able to run on a somewhat consistant basis despite working (some), moving and starting a new class (Wilderness First Responder) at Colorado Mountain College a couple of nights a week.  I've been mostly running the snowpacked Spring Creek trail up to a private property sign about 300' up the last ridge.  From the Steamboat Springs Rec Center, it's a 5.5 mile out and back.  Footing can be dicey in spots even with the use of Kahtoola MicroSpikes on the way in but the descent is super fun.  I've run it in all conditions from solid foot packing to 6" of fresh snow and it's always tough yet rewarding.  Last week, I did get in an 11 mile run on the bike path, my longest run of the winter.  Honestly, it's been so snowy and, more recently, COLD, that I don't really want my runs to last longer than 90 minutes.  After an hour, I just start feeling stupid for being out in the cold darkness.  I suppose I'd want to stay out alot longer if I was running in the sunshine. 

After running, I've still been going to the gym to work legs, abs and my back.  I only do high repetions (30+) in sets of 3 or 4, with relatively light weight.  I make sure it is still difficult to finish each set by either extending the number of repetions or by doing negatives until I'm fatigued.  I've been going 3 -4 times a week for the last 6 weeks.  It feels like it is paying off and finally strengthening areas where I've had lasting problems (left soleus muscle, right achilles tendon, left plantar and right upper hamstring), as they really aren't giving me any problems as of the past week.  

In order to start looking ahead to the Spring, I've just registered for some races for the upcoming season.  Today, I added the Desert R.A.T.S. Running Festival (half-marathon) on April 15th (Mom's birthday!) to my schedule.  I also registered to run the Collegiate Peaks Trail Run (25 miles) for the second year in a row.  Sounds like Christian wants to roll down to Buena Vista again.  Hopefully, it won't be snowing on May 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment